Saturday 31 August 2019

A Photo Collage to Mark The Third Anniversary of Mum's Death to Bowel Cancer

There is no getting away from the fact that the anniversary of losing someone close can be a particularly sad and tough time, and this week marked the third anniversary of Mum’s death to bowel cancer with those feelings coming to the surface, but also alongside some incredibly happy memories of a wonderful mum.

To mark the occasion this year, I wanted to do something positive, so I have produced a photo collage comprising of some of the wonderful photos that I have received over the last few years from people who have so generously bought books, t-shirts, bears and other bits and pieces from me to help raise funds. The collage consists of bowel cancer patients, relations of cancer patients, my oldest friends, my new friends, and people who have come across my work and made contact with me. There are quite a few stories within the collage that I am sure I will come back to in the weeks ahead.

For all the sadness over the loss of Mum the biggest positive for me has been the amazing support I have had for my fundraising and raising awareness about bowel cancer. I have made so many new friends, many of whom share a connection to this awful disease. It has had such a positive effect on me, and I can never thank everyone who has bought something or sponsored me over the last seven years.

I think my decision to start fundraising back in 2012 was very much a sliding doors type moment. Mum’s operation to remove the tumour from her bowel was a success, and something inside me wanted to do something positive, but I could so easily have just remained thankful for Mum recovering and not done anything. I still can’t really explain it, but it’s been absolutely incredible and so very rewarding. Not that I need any reminding, but the collage shows just how amazing the support has been. The fundraising figure currently stands at around £10,000 so thank you so very much to each and every one of you!

The beauty of the collage is that it can keep on expanding, so if anyone has a photo of themselves with one of my fundraising items and would it to be added then please send it to me and I’ll happy add it to the collage. I’ve done my very best to include everyone, but if you are missing then please let me know.

Some of the people in the collage are still undergoing treatment for bowel cancer. Their continued support for everything I do is fan-bloody-tastic, and I wanted to say an extra special thank you to all of them. They are a massive inspiration to me and are never far from my thoughts.
Of course the fundraising continues. My latest book, The Record, was published in June, and has so far raised over £600 for Bowel Cancer UK.

For those interested in buying a copy of The Record please click here.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment