Saturday 27 January 2018

Meeting Levellers Bassist Jeremy Cunningham


This week I had a fantastic experience meeting Jeremy Cunningham, bass player with The Levellers, at the band's studio in Brighton. I missed seeing the whole band rehearsing by one week, but what it did mean, was I got to spend an hour with Jeremy. He gave me a fascinating tour of the studio, and then I photographed him before chatting about the band for the chapter in the book. He couldn't have been nicer, and more supportive for what I am doing. The story doesn't quite end here though, as I will also be photographing the band from the photo pit at their Basingstoke gig in March. Like many fans I am eagerly waiting the March release of 'We The Collective', and have preordered the signed deluxe vinyl and CD package. 

The new book is progressing well, and is now over halfway towards completion. There is a possibility of it being ready by the end of the year, but as I am doing it myself there is no deadline, and it will be ready when it's done. The Record is being done in memory of my Mum, who passed away in 2016 after a 4 year battle with bowel cancer. All proceeds raised from sales of the book will be donated to Beating Bowel Cancer  / Bowel Cancer UK. The book is the follow up to Lives & Times, published in 2015, which has raised over £3500 to date. I have my own fundraising website www.bowelcancerfundraising.co.uk which sells my books, t-shirts and art to raise funds for the charity. Bowel cancer is the second biggest cancer killer in the UK taking 16,000 lives each year. However, if caught early it can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases. Much more work needs to be done in raising awareness about this awful disease, and improving early diagnosis to give patients the best chance of beating bowel cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment