Monday 29 January 2018

Jon & Jillian Maclaren-Odgers to Feature in Bowel Cancer Charity Book


This weekend I will be heading to Llandudno for the annual Gathering. The music of The Alarm takes centre stage for two nights. I say two nights, but some people will be making it into a 4 day event! It's one of the highlights of the year, and a time to enjoy the music and catching up with many friends.

So I am really happy to announce that, two friends, Jillian & Jon Maclaren-Odgers have agreed to be in the new book, and I will catch up with them for chat, and to do the photo over the weekend. I first met Jillian at Abbey Road studios in 2014, and I met Jon at last year's Gathering. Jon plays drums for The Men They Couldn't Hang. I bought the band's debut album, and have just pre-ordered their forthcoming record, so there is quite a gap in between! It should be a cracking chapter 😊

Jillian with her copy of Lives & Times

My Mum lost her 4 year battle with bowel cancer in 2016. Although the operation to remove the tumour from her bowel in 2012 was successful, the cancer spread to her lungs and she underwent a further 4 operations. Finally the cancer spread to her brain, and she died peacefully with me, my brother, and sister at her bedside, at the nursing home where she spent the final weeks of her life. Bowel is the second highest cancer killer in the UK, but if detected early it can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases. Raising awareness is key, as is improving early detection rates. All proceeds from sales of the book will be donated to Bowel Cancer UK / Beating Cancer, who have recently merged to become the UK's leading bowel cancer charity.

The book is the follow up to 2015's Lives & Times, which has so far raised over £3500. This total also includes sales of art, mugs and the recently added "Stop Bowel Cancer" t-shirts. Please take a look, and all support is very deeply appreciated. www.bowelcancerfundraising.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment