Friday 14 April 2017

Meeting George Dobell at Edgbaston for Bowel Cancer Charity Book


It was rather chilly at Edgbaston in Birmingham at the start of the last English cricket season when I met George Dobell, the Senior Cricket Correspondent at ESPNcricinfo. I was there for the morning session of the Warwickshire vs Yorkshire match in the County Championship, and I think that after I left the heavens opened. You can't beat the English summer! George was fantastic, a really interesting man to talk to and he has a great sense of humour which was never too far away either. I actually was in for a surprise when I got there, as he took me up to the media centre to have our chat. What a fantastic place that is and the journalists have the most amazing view of the ground. We talked for about an hour, so I have plenty of material to include in the chapter in the book. I also discovered that George is a fan of my favourite band The Alarm, with 'Spirit Of 76' being his favourite song by them. I photographed the original members of that band in the last book, and George is actually a very keen music fan as you find out in the book when it comes out.


Those of you who have purchased the Lives & Times bowel cancer fundraising book will recognise Melinda Farrell. It was great seeing her again too today, as she had only just returned from covering cricket in Australia and India during our cold winter months. I couldn't pass up the opportunity of getting a photo of her and George with the bowel cancer tie.

Bowel cancer is the 2nd highest cancer killer in the UK with 16,000 lives lost each year to it. Yet if diagnosed early it is one of the most treatable ones with a survival rate of over 90%. Raising awareness about bowel cancer is one way to help bring down the amount of people losing their lives to it. My Mum passed away in August 2016 after a 4 year brave and dignified battle with this awful illness. All proceeds raised from sales of the new book will be donated to the Beating Bowel Cancer charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment