Monday, 19 September 2016

The New Fundraising Book


My Mum was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer in 2012, and she had a successful operation to remove a section of her bowel. The cancer spread to her lungs as a secondary cancer, now becoming stage 4. She had four further operations on her lungs to remove cancerous nodules. Finally, the cancer also spread to her brain and she had Cyberknife treatment on the two lesions. Sadly one of lesions didn't respond and her health deteriorated. She peacefully passed away in August 2016 at the St, Marks Nursing Home in Maidenhead.

During those four years I published two fundraising books, Beating Bowel Cancer & Lives & Times to raise funds for the Beating Bowel Cancer charity, both of which are available on my www.bowelcancerfundraising.co.uk website. Alongside a walk up Mount Snowdon in 2014 the fundraising has raised around £6000 for the charity so far.

I have been thinking about doing a third book for some time, and I think it would fitting to do a book dedicated to Mum's memory raising more funds for Beating Bowel Cancer. Another important aspect of what these book do is helping to raise awareness about bowel cancer. This cannot be underestimated! Bowel cancer is the 2nd biggest cancer killer in the UK, and yet can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases if detected early. Too many are lost to this disease.. The idea for the book is that I go and meet and photograph people and write up about the experience in anecdotal form. This is the way I did Lives & Times. The difference this time is that there will be a constant theme running through it, where I will ask everyone I meet, "What was the first record you bought?" The book will feature people from all walks of life, and I am hoping to attract some high profile names to boost interest in the book.

So this blog will follow the progress of the book right through to publication and beyond. I am always happy to receive offers of help, especially for ideas on who to contact and especially if anyone can help set up an interesting photo. And I also need a suitable title for this book, which hasn't yet popped up into my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment